This year the Gorey show held its 158th event with prize money running to an impressive €2,500 thanks to the kind sponsorship of Slaney Foods International and the Gorey Agricultural Show Society.
The quality of the Hereford animals on show seemed to attract a lot of attention from spectators, with many of them eager to take part in the Stock Judging competition.
Robin Irvine had the tedious task of judging on the day, with his selection of winners as follows.
Kilsunny Lass Matilda continues her winning streak as she took the championship, bred by Trevor Dudley.
Reserve Champion and Junior Bull Calf Champion was Knockmountagh Virgil 3 exhibited by Eamon & John McKiernan, Co. Louth, with the Kilsunny herd picking up another prize on the day when Kilsunny Nicholas secured Reserve Junior Bull Calf Champion.
Local man John Jones who was ring steward for the event had a very successful day as he won first, second and fourth in the Junior Female line-up. It was Clonroe Fairy that won Junior Female Champion and her sister Clonroe Elsie 2 who claimed Reserve Champion, both sired by Baltymore Ginger.
Overall Champion Kilsunny Lass Matilda with Edward Dudley and judge Robin Irvine.
Reserve Champion Knockmountagh Virgil 3 and Overall Junior Bull Calf Champion with John McKiernan and Robin Irvine.
Reserve Junior Bull Calf Champion Kilsunny Nicholas.
Junior Female Champion Clonroe Fairy with Denis Jones and Robin Irvine.
Winner of the Cow class was Grianan Orange 589 exhibited by IHBS South Leinster Chairman Mervyn Parr.
Other Class Winners:
Clonmore Fiona Won Class 100 for a heifer calf born on or after 01/07/16 – 31/08/16. Eamon Moulds, Sponsors Slaney Foods International and handler Aidan Jones.
Conor Jones continues his success when he retained his title, winning the young stock persons competition yet again.
IHBS Chairman Willie Branagan awards Eamon McKiernan his prize for winning the Stock Judging Competition. Eamon was the only person to correctly grade each animal in the same order as the judge.
We were privileged to have the President of the New Zealand Hereford Association, Philip Barnett attend the show. He was very impressed with the quality of the cattle on display and how the event itself was run.
All class Results;
98: COW/HEIFER IN CALF WITH NATURAL BORN CALF AT FOOT
- Mervyn Parr Tourtane, Clogh, Castlecomer, Co Kilkenny. Grianan Orange 589, 361055860589, 3rd Mar 2011, Grianan High Flyer ET, Grianan Orange 409
- Niall Jones Knockduff, Bree, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford. Grianan Cooperobin N679, IE361055850679, 15th Sep 2013, Grianan Firecracker, Grianan Cooperobin 584 ET
- John Murphy 7 Main Street, Gorey, Co Wexford. Solpoll 1 Starlet H No 2 & Kiltennel Poll Top Gun
99: HEIFER BORN ON OR AFTER 1/7/2015 – 31/8/2016
- Trevor Dudley Kilsunny House, Dovea, Thurles, Co Tipperary. Kilsunny Lass Matilda, IE331396571536, 19th Nov 2015, Glaslough Judge, KIlsunny Lass Gem
- John Jones Pallas, Gorey, Co Wexford. Clonroe Elsie 2, 371456421436, 1st Jul 2015, Baltymore Ginger, Airhill Kestrel
- Eamon McKiernan Newtown, Monasterboice, Drogheda, Louth. Knockmountagh Aster 3, IE261029140722, 1st Dec 2015, Moyclare Lieutenant, Knockmountagh Purdy
100: HEIFER CALF BORN ON OR AFTER 1/7/2016 – 31/8/2016
- John Jones Pallas, Gorey, Co Wexford. Clonmore Fiona, 371454431544, 12th Aug 2016, Baltymore Gerry, Clonroe Jackie
- Trevor Dudley Kilsunny House, Dovea, Thurles, Co Tipperary. Kilsunny Lass Nectar, IE331396591579, 2nd Jul 2016, Glaslough Judge, Kilsunny Lass Glitter
- Glenn Jacob Dunsinane, Enniscorthy, Co Wexford. Dunsinane Beth, IE371254430768, 30th Aug 2016, Haven Kingpin, Dunsinane Nadine
101: HEIFER CALF BORN ON OR AFTER 1/9/2016 – 31/10/2016
- John Jones Pallas, Gorey, Co Wexford. Clonroe Fairy, 371456451546, 2nd Sep 2016, Baltymore Ginger, Clonroe Liza
- John Jones Pallas, Gorey, Co Wexford. Clonroe Fiadh, IE371456471548, 3rd Oct 2016, Baltymore Ginger, Airhill Joyce Gorey Agricultural Show
- Trevor Dudley Kilsunny House, Dovea, Thurles, Co Tipperary. Kilsunny Lass Nadia, IE331396541590, 2nd Oct 2016, Cill Cormac Marcel, Kilsunny Lass Josslyn
102: BULL CALF BORN ON OR AFTER 1/7/2016 – 31/08/2016
- Eamon McKiernan Newtown, Monasterboice, Drogheda, Louth. Knockmountagh Virgil 3, 261029120745, 4th Aug 2016, Trillick Hotspur, Boyana Stacy
- Glenn Jacob Dunsinane, Enniscorthy, Co Wexford. Dunsinane Brave ET, 371254470763, 21st Aug 2016, Bowmount Storm, Balleen Emma
- Curtis & Jones Knockduff, Bree, Enniscorthy, Co Wexford. Knockduff poll 1 garry et, 371317840919, 13th Aug 2016, Kilsunny goliath, Knockduff poll 1 daisy
103: BULL CALF BORN ON OR AFTER 1/9/2016 – 31/10/2016
- Trevor Dudley Kilsunny House, Dovea, Thurles, Co Tipperary. Kilsunny Nicholas, IE331396521589, 21st Sep 2016, Kilsunny Kingston, Kilsunny Lass Flo
- Glenn Jacob Dunsinane, Enniscorthy, Co Wexford. Dunsinane Brax ET, IE371254480772, 4th Sep 2016, Bowmont Storm, Balleen Emma
- Mervyn Parr Tourtane, Clogh, Castlecomer, Co Kilkenny. Tourtane Harry, 211195111024, 5th Sep 2016, Cave Hill Storm, Tourtane Tara
104: BULL OR HEIFER BORN AFTER 1/11/2016
- John Jones Pallas, Gorey, Co Wexford. Clonroe Fred, 371456431552, 5th Nov 2016, Baltymore Ginger, Clonroe Caroline
- Mervyn Parr Tourtane, Clogh, Castlecomer, Co Kilkenny. Tourtane Storm 1035, 211195141035, 8th Dec 2016, Cave Hill Storm, Grianan Orange 589
105: YOUNG STOCKPERSONS COMPETITION
- Conor Jones Pallas, Gorey, Co Wexford. Clonroe Fiadh, 371456471548, 3rd Oct 2016, Baltymore Ginger, Airhill Joyce
- Anna Jacob Dunsinane, Enniscorthy, Co Wexford. dunsinane beth, ie371254430768, 30th Aug 2016, haven kingpin, dunsinane Nadine
Judge: Mr. Pat Sheedy, Clonakenny, Roscrea, Co. Tipperary
Great to witness such a strong turnout of Herefords at the first show of summer at Bandon.
Supreme Hereford Champion & Overall Male Champion: Solpoll 1 Lawman, John & Frank Appelbe, Carrigroe, Clonakilty, Co. Cork.
Reserve Supreme Breed Champion & Overall Female Champion: Kilsunny Lass Matilda, Trevor Dudley, Kilsunny Hse, Dovea, Thurles, Co. Tipperary.
Reserve Male Champion: SMG Euro 30E, Veronica Brennan & Ray Hunt c/o Herberry Herefords, Ballyherberry, Dualla, Co. Tipperary
Reserve Female Champion: Springvilla Miriam, Tom Roycroft, West Green, Dunmanway, Co. Cork.
Senior Bull born before 01.09.2016
1st: John & Frank Appelbe, Carrigroe, Clonakilty, Co. Cork
Solpoll 1 Lawman, 03.11.13, Panmure 1 Henry, Solpoll 1 Pansy
2nd: Veronica Brennan & Ray Hunt c/o Herberry Herefords, Ballyherberry, Dualla, Co. Tipperary
SMH Euro 30E, 08.05.09, SMH Casanova, Abelone Plum
3rd: Tom Roycroft, West Green, Dunmanway, Co. Cork
Corlismore Fire 606, Grianan Firecracker, Corlismore Betty
Cow, in calf or in milk, any age
1st: Tom Roycroft, West Green, Dunmanway, Co. Cork
Springvilla Miriam, Springvilla Roller, Ballyaville Alberta
2nd: Mary Pat Dineen, Lislevane House, Bandon, Co. Cork
Dunworley Goldie, 28.11.11, Bowmount Storm, Hazelfield Eileen
3rd: Tim Sheehy, Kilnahone, Ballygarvan, Co. Cork
Leamlara Jane 4, 22.11.14, Trillick Best, Leamlara Jane 2
Senior Heifer born after 01.09.2014 and before 31.08.2016
1st: Trevor Dudley, Kilsunny Hse, Dovea, Thurles, Co. Tipperary
Kilsunny Lass Matilda, 19.11.15, Glaslough Judge, Kilsunny Lass Gem
2nd: Adrian Bateman, Caraide House, Slieveroe, Riverstick, Co. Cork
Slieveroe Pandora’s Charm, 20.09.15, Trillick Best, Slieveroe Elsie
3rd: Dermot Whelton, Cullane West, Leap, Co. Cork
Hazel Grove Bella, 27.10.15
Bull calf born after 01.09.2016
1st: John & Frank Appelbe, Carrigroe, Clonakilty, Co. Cork
Apple 1 Kaboom, 01.09.16, Solpoll 1 Lawman, Appel 1
2nd: Adrian Cronin, Rathcomane, Ballyhar, Killarney, Co. Kerry
Rathcomane Caesar, 07.09.16, Kilsunny Goliath, Springvilla Astra
3rd: Veronica Brennan & Ray Hunt, c/o Herberry Herefords, Ballyherberry, Dualla, Co. Tipperary
Heifer calf born after 01.09.2016
1st: Tom Roycroft, West Green, Dunmanway, Co. Cork
Sprinvilla Miriam Duke, Oct 16, Knockmountagh Duke, Springvilla Miriam
2nd: Trevor Dudley, Kilsunny Hse, Dovea, Thurles, Co. Tipperary
Kilsunny Lass Nadia, 02.10.16, Cill Cormaic Marcel, Kilsunny Lass Josslyn
3rd: Anthony McCarthy, Gurrane, Banteer, Co. Cork
Report & Photos: Edward Dudley
The Irish Hereford Breed Society, in collaboration with Slaney Foods International and Lidl Ireland are awarding 5 bursaries of €1,000 each to 5 successful applicants at the 86th National Ploughing Championships which will take place in Screggan, Tullamore, Co. Offaly from Sept 19th – 21st 2017.
“Given the outstanding success last year, which was the first year of the programme, all the supporters are keen to further build on that this year and into the future” stated Willie Branagan, Irish Hereford Chairman at the launch of the 2017 competition. The five winners from last year have been enjoying their time at college while furthering their agricultural education. It is expected that this year’s competition will once again create wide interest from prospective and aspiring agricultural students wishing to go to Agricultural College or study Agriculture at 3rd level in the Republic of Ireland this coming autumn.
Such students may have completed the Leaving Certificate, could currently be actively farming or may be actively involved in their local Macra club or other agricultural activity. A growing population across the world will require into the future sustenance provided by the agricultural community, creating increasing demands on land and water resources. A highly educated new generation of producers and agricultural graduates will be required to ensure such demands are met in a sustainable way.
To be in with a chance of winning one of these bursaries, candidates should submit an assignment entitled: Ireland’s Green Grass – Our Pot of Gold at the End of the Rainbow. Discuss (maximum 2,000 words) with their name, address and contact number clearly displayed on their assignment, by e-mail no later than Friday 25th August 2017 to: email@example.com
Ten qualifiers will be contacted by phone on Monday 11th September and will be required to attend the National Ploughing Championships in Tullamore on Wednesday 20th September and be available to be interviewed by a well-known figure in Irish agriculture who will select the final 5 winners.
Speaking about the initiative Rory Fanning from Slaney Foods International says: “Given the recent demand for the Hereford breed and the success of the multi award winning Certified Irish Hereford Beef, we are delighted to come on board and support the Society who have initiated the project.”
Commercial Director for Lidl Liam Casey says: “Hereford has quite quickly become a huge point of differentiation for Lidl and customers have responded exceptionally well to this premium product. We are delighted to support the Irish Hereford Breed Society and our supplier Slaney Foods International in offering financial assistance to 5 aspiring agricultural students.”
You can also find these at www.slaneyfarmers.com
In case of queries, students may contact the Irish Hereford Breed Society Ltd. on 044/9348855
The final Hereford Spring sale went out with a bang as a 100% of animals were sold, with some impressive prices achieved on the day. The average price was just shy of €3,000 with a price range of €2,200 – €4,000.
Well known Hereford breeders Tom and Anselm Fitzgerald brought home the champion sash for their bull Grianan Prince. This 4 star terminal bull is bred by Grianan Freddy who produced a number of animals that were very successful around the shows last year. Local Nenagh man Michael McLoughlin became the new owner when he placed his final bid at €3,500.
Champion Grianan Prince sold for €3,500, bred by T & A Fitzgerald Mount Temple Moate. Breeder Anselm Fitzgerald, Moate, Liam Philpott (Hereford Society President) Mervyn Richmond, Fermanagh (Judge).
Philip and Catherine Smyth took second place when their bull Ardmulchan Magic was crowned Reserve Champion. This bull is out of the well known UK bull Church Preen Galileo who has had a great deal of success across the water winning best bull under 2 years old and Reserve Champion at the National Show, Tenbury and Senior Male Champion at the National Calf Show in Bristol 2010.
Reserve Champion Ardmulchan Magic sold for €2,500 with breeder Catherine Smyth, Navan, Mervyn Richmond, Fermanagh (Judge) and Liam Philpott (Hereford Society President).
Roscommon man William Kennedy returned to Ballyforan with a heavy wallet as he brought home a total of €9,300 for his 3 bulls. Willie’s 16 month old bull, Feevaghmore Las Vegas was responsible for almost half the purse as he sold for €4,000 the highest price of the sale. This very stylish 16 month old sire, a son of the very successful Haven Kingpin, has a 5 star rating for both the terminal and replacement indexes’ along with an impressive calving difficulty value of 3.4%, which is lower than the breed average.
Top price bull Feevaghmore Las Vegas sold for €4,000 with breeder Willie Kennedy, Ballyforan, Co Roscommon.
James Thompson from the very successful herd of Ballyraggan Herefords, Co. Carlow received the next highest price on the day for his bull Ballyraggan Pioneer 839th selling at €3,800. Sired by Ballyaville Fine Tune who is a son of Hollow Point Broker this bull scored 5 stars for terminal, docility and carcass weight.
Longford man JJ Farrell of Trillick Herefords was another exhibitor who grabbed the attention of a number of buyers when it came to selling his bull Trillick Senior. This attractive sire scored 4 and 5 stars for the termianal and replacement index. Trillick Senior certainly took after his father, Free Town Hotspur who is recognised for his easy calving at 1.9%, with Trillick Senior scoring a value of 3.5%.Trillick Senior sold for €3,750 with breeder JJ Farrell, Co. Longford.
The society would like to take this opportunity to congratulate Matt Malone on his retirement. We would like to thank Matt for his hard work and dedication through the years, we wish him all the best.
Presentation by IHBS Chairman Willie Branagan & President Liam Philpott to Matt Malone as a mark of appreciation by the society on the retirement of Matt Malone as GM.
An all Breed Event will be on the Saturday of the upcoming Bank Holiday weekend (June 3rd).
It’s guaranteed to be a great day out with all aspects of animal showing discussed on the day.
Covering topics such as;
– Animal nutrition & health
– Healthy and safety
– Animal selection & training
– Grooming & showmanship
AND MUCH MORE!!!
Starting at 10am in Tullamore mart.