The numbers of bulls entered was less than last year with a total of 39 bulls catalogued for the Premier Sale. A number of bulls were sold privately on farm at the Kilkenny and Ballybay Multi Breed Sales reducing the number of bulls present in Tullamore to 32. The event was held 10 days later than last year’s event which may have benefited the sale as wintry conditions continue to persist, with no growth and scarcity of silage putting many farmers off purchasing a bull until the weather improves. Circumstances had improved in comparison to last year’s sale with the clearance rate increased and a similar average of approx €3,150.
David Larkin topped the sale for a second year in a row when his bull Cill Cormaic Prince 2nd secured €5,000 and was purchased by fellow Hereford Breeder Wade McCrabbe from Co. Donegal. Prince was Reserve Senior Calf Champion at the 2017 Hereford National Calf Show, sired by Black Water Lad this five star terminal bull had terrific shape and length to him at just 17 months old.Cill Cormaic Prince 2nd (Sold for €5,000) with owner David Larkin.
Airhill Oconaill took home the Champion sash in the pre show event when UK Judge Gerald Blandford, owner of the Bosa Hereford Herd knocked him forward as the overall winner. Bred by John Johnston Co. Wexford and bought by JJ Farrell (owner of Trillick Herefords) back in November 2016 this four star terminal sire was sold outside the ring for a sum of €4,250 with Mr. John Bergin from Co. Laois becoming the new owner.
Show Champion Airhill Oconaill with Ciaran & JJ Farrel who sold their bull for €4,250.
Frank Harrington from Strokestown secured €3,700 for his bull F.H. Kingpin with David Dolan from Tullamore bringing home a new bull to his herd. This double five star bull had excellent shape and tremendous length to him which was to be expected as he’s out of the well known Haven Kingpin.
F.H. Kingpin (sold for €3,700) with owner Frank Harrington and new owners the Dolans from Tullamore.
Another descendant from Haven Kingpin performed well in the sales ring with Gageboro Rumpus, owned by Niall Daly & Lisa Holloway selling at €3,550 to Colm Conlon from Athlone. This animal attracted many admirers on the day with his excellent shape and proven bloodlines with Great Grand sires Churchill Storm and Trillick Best in the mix providing this bull with four and five stars for terminal and replacement indexes.Gageboro Rumpus sold for €3,550 with breeder Niall Daly and new owner Liam Conlon in background.
Padraig McGrath from the well established Kye Herefords exhibited a fine-looking bull, numbered at lot 18 in the sale catalogue. “Kye Harry 753” who is fertility tested scored four stars for both terminal & replacement indexes and is sired by Free Town Hotspur a well proven bull who has sired many animals that have achieved success at numerous shows and sales. Kye Harry was purchased by Fergus Glennon from Mullingar Co. Westmeath for a sum of €3,500.Padraig McGrath and wife Catherine with Kye Harry 753 who secured €3,500.
Larkin added another €3,500 to his purse with his two year old bull Cill Cormaic Ocean who is full of power and frame from the herd’s easy calving sire Cill Cormaic Lincoln, and Dam Cill Cormaic Willow one of David’s better breeding cows. This bull will remain in Co. Offaly as it was Michael Molloy owner of the very successful Moyclare Herd who made the purchase.Cill Cormaic Ocean with handler Joey Larkin.
Champion: Airhill Oconaill Owned by JJ Farrell Trillick-A-Temple,Logford, Co. Longford | Sire: Ardmulchan Himalagan | Dam: Airhill Jug
Reserve Champion: Glaslough Sid Owned by Sam & Nigel Heatrick Annareagh, Glaslough, Co.Monaghan | Sire: Clondrina 1110th | Dam: Glaslough Dot
- Glaslough Rascal – Owned by Sam & Nugel Heatrick, Glaslough, Co. Monaghan
- Ardstewartpoll 1 Bailey – Owned by Nelson & Wade McCrabbe, Lifford, Co. Donegal (Sold €2,350)
- Boveen Pablo – Owned by Joe O’Connor, Birr, Co. Offaly (Sold €2,500)
- Cill Cormaic Ocean – Owned by David Larkin, Birr, Co. Offaly (Sold €3,500)
- Glaslough Sid – Owned by Sam & Nugel Heatrick, Glaslough, Co. Monaghan
- Gageboro Rustler – Owned by Niall Daly & Lisa Holloway, Moate, Co. Westmeath
- Keenagh Maximus 2 – Owned by Edwin & Robert Jones, Keenagh, Co. Longford
- Corlismore Ranger 874 – Owned by Sean McKiernan, Corlismore, Co. Cavan
- Airhill Oconaill – Owned by JJ Farrell, Trillick, Co. Longford (Sold €4,250)
- Gageboro Rumpus – Owned by Niall Daly & Lisa Holloway, Moate, Co. Westmeath (Sold €3,550)
- Grianan Rex – Owned by Tom & Anselm Fitzgerald, Moate, Co. Westmeath
- Mountwilliam Kevin – Owned by Aidan Farrell, Moate, Co. Westmeath (Sold €3,000)
- Cill Cormaic Prince 2 – Owned by David Larkin, Birr, Co. Offaly (Sold €5,000)
- Corlismore Ted 894 – Owned by McKiernan, Corlismore, Co. Cavan
- Ardmulchan Napoleon – Owned by Philip Smyth, Navan, Co. Meath
- Cave Hill Pogba – Owned by Padraig Farrell – Athlone, Co. Westmeath
Upcoming sales dates:
- Bandon – Wednesday April 4th
- Nenagh – Saturday 14th
- Kilmallock – Friday April 20th
- Nenagh – Saturday May 19th