The Irish Hereford Society Encourage all farmers to Support the “Save Our Suckler’s” Campaign that the Irish Farmer’s Journal are currently promoting.
By signing this letter, the European Commission and the Irish Government will surely recognise the important role that Suckler farmers play in maintaining a vibrant rural Ireland by committing to:
- A fully funded Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) with the commitment to introduce targeted direct support for all low-income sectors including sucklers.
- Protect EU and Irish suckler farmers in all upcoming trade deals and reject any demands from non-EU countries for increased access to EU beef markets.
- Safeguarding farmers’ income both during and after Brexit negotiations through the implementation of market support measures.
- Supporting the campaign for the introduction of a suckler cow support payment of €200/cow to underpin the sector and halt rural decline.
Who should sign?
- All farmers that see value in maintaining a diverse portfolio of agricultural exports.
- Meat processors and their employees who depend on suckler farmers for their raw material.
- Feed mills, marts, consultants, vets, accountants and all other input providers dependent on suckler farmers.
- Rural schools, shops and sports clubs who depend on maintaining vibrant rural communities.
- Those engaged in the tourist industry that recognises the important role suckler farmers play in the maintenance and development of our rural landscape.
- Environmental organisations that recognise the positive contribution which suckler farmers play in maintaining a bio-diverse landscape.
- Politicians whose constituents depend on a vibrant rural Ireland.